What you should expect after Transplant
Waking up recovery Room :
After the surgery , you will wake up after the anesthesia wears off , this is what you should expect:
- Some pain & discomfort which medications will help to relieve
- Patients will be asked to cough periodically to keep the lungs clear. If it hurts to cough, the patient should ask someone to support his abdomen
- You will have a line in your arm or neck under the collar bone, which will be used to give fluids and medications for the first few day’s post surgery
- A central venous line is inserted in the neck vein to check the hydration level in body.
- For several days after surgery , you will be having a catheter in your bladder to drain urine. This may feel uncomfortable , and you may feel the need to urinate constantly , but it is only temporary
- During the surgery , one or two drains may be placed in or near the incision. The drain will be removed 5-10 days after surgery
- Dialysis may still be needed to help clear excess fluid and toxins in the body until the kidney recovers from the procurement process.
The length of hospital stay will depend on the progress of the patient and they should never hesitate to talk about their problems with the doctor or nurse